Abuse of the Courtesy Runner Rule

General League Announcements and Discussion
blouderback
Major League Poster

Abuse of the Courtesy Runner Rule

Post by blouderback »

I'm tired of this rule being abused. How many times has a team used a courtesy runner for the old fat slow guy in late innings just to get a faster runner on the bases? It happens practically every game.

The rule states that courtesy runners must be declared to the scorekeeper when giving the lineup, or, if the player is HURT during the game the manager can request a runner. MAX of 2, unless the umpire is petitioned. Most of the time, the old fat guy doesn't even fake an injury. It's as if it's legal to get a courtesy runner whenever you need speed on the bases. IT'S NOT.

BTW, I'm one of the oldest fattest slowest guys in the league and I've NEVER taken a courtesy runner.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Re: Abuse of the Courtesy Runner Rule

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Short of having a medical staff and MRI at each ball field, there isn't much we can do about courtesy runner abuse. If an old, fat, or slow runner claims he/she is hurting, the umpire has to take them at their word. Forcing a player to play when he/she claims injury and something should happen to further aggravate that player's injury, well... this would not be in the best interest of the player or the league. One can only hope league members have the decency to honor our league courtesy runner rules and regs.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

I suppose you're right.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

So tonight, I felt a little twinge in my leg after taking a walk in the 7th inning. I asked for a courtesy runner and Newt denied me. Can you please inform Newt that he does not have a medical degree and there is no access to an MRI at Stover field.

Thanks!