CB School District Ball Fields

General League Announcements and Discussion
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

CB School District Ball Fields

Post by sixofdiamonds »

I received a call from one of the bigwigs at CB School District in reference to beer cans and cigarette butts strewn about the ball field at Groveland Elementary from games played there on June 2nd. While he was not nasty, he was far from happy. He came about an inch short of pulling our ball field permits. As he was telling me the story and before he could get to how unacceptable it is, I cut him off and said this is entirely unacceptable and I will do everything in my power to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Needless to say I was very upset when I got off the phone. I calmed down and thought about it. We have a league umpire there. We have a league scorekeeper there. On top of that, our league groundskeeper played at Groveland that morning. If anything was amiss, one of them would have noticed and done something about it. I thought... maybe it wasn't us. After all, we use the field in the morning. It is entirely possible a group of people used the field in the afternoon - drinking and smoking will little regard to the consequences. I called the bigwig back and posed that scenario to him. He admitted that to be a definite possibility. They have surveillance cameras they can look at. He lives down the street from the school and will keep an eye on things moving forward.

Schools are located in what are considered drug free zones. Alcohol and nicotine are drugs.

I choose to believe it was not us, but if it was us we need to be extra careful from now on. I've instructed league umpires to take pictures of anything amiss before the games start. I've asked them to take pictures of the grounds once the games are finished. This way we have proof positive on the condition of the field on our arrival and departure.

League members found to be smoking and/or drinking on school grounds will be warned then ejected from the game and forced to leave the ball field grounds. If we expect to be issued a permit for School District ball fields, it will have to be on School District terms.