Female Eddie Definition

General League Announcements and Discussion
blouderback
Major League Poster

Female Eddie Definition

Post by blouderback »

So it was only a matter of time until this subject came up. This is an actual situation and I'm not making it up, so please don't make jokes about it.

I have a friend who is transitioning from male to female. She has changed her identity on social networks, dresses as a female, and is taking female hormones. She still has all her male "equipment", and has had no surgery yet (she's not sure if she'll do that yet). She is interested in playing in our co-ed league, but worried that some people will "call her out" (her words) on her gender when she shows up as a female Eddie and doesn't quite look 100% like a female. I played with her years ago and at that time, as a male, she was pretty good.

What is the league's policy on this subject?

Sooner or later, we will also be faced with a "genderfluid", or "non-binary" person. If you don't know what that means, look it up. I wonder how this will be handled? I can hear some guys say something like "my team needs a female Eddie today, so today I'm identifying as a female". Things to think about.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Re: Female Eddie Definition

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Perfect! Just what I needed. The league does not have a policy on that... yet. We will cross that bridge if/when we get to it. I will say this; just because a player changes their social media identity or shows up dressed as a female, that in and of itself does not quantify that individual as a female player. Something on the lines of a statement, affidavit, or certificate from the medical profession may be required.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

There are millions of people that wear Carson Wentz jerseys. That doesn't make them NFL quarterbacks.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

All kidding aside, no one who wears a Wentz jersey thinks they're him. My friend truly feels and believes she's a woman.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

There is no kidding here. I take this very seriously. There is no question in my mind there are managers in this league that would have a male player dress up as a female just so they could meet eddie requirements and have a 'leg up' on the competition. It will take more than just dressing up as a female to be considered a female eddie.

If a situation arises as it relates to gender, we will defer to the ASA (USA Softball).
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

I searched USSSA and could not find anything about defining gender.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

While I haven't reached out to the ASA and don't plan on doing so until an issue surfaces, below are guidelines from the International Olympic Committe.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) Consensus Meeting in November 2015 agreed the following guidelines to be taken into account by sports organizations when determining eligibility to compete in male and female competition:
1. Those who transition from female to male are eligible to compete in the male category without restriction.
2. Those who transition from male to female are eligible to compete in the female category under the following conditions:
2.1. The athlete has declared that her gender identity is female. The declaration cannot be changed, for sporting purposes, for a minimum of four years.
2.2. The athlete must demonstrate that her total testosterone level in serum has been below 10 nmol/L for at least 12 months prior to her first competition (with the requirement for any longer period to be based on a confidential case-by-case evaluation, considering whether or not 12 months is a sufficient length of time to minimize any advantage in women’s competition).
2.3. The athlete's total testosterone level in serum must remain below 10nmol/L throughout the period of desired eligibility to compete in the female category.
2.4. Compliance with these conditions may be monitored by testing. In the event of non-compliance, the athlete’s eligibility for female competition will be suspended for 12 months.
The athlete must demonstrate that her total testosterone level in serum has been below 10 nmol/L for at least 12 months prior to her first competition (with the requirement for any longer period to be based on a confidential case-by-case evaluation, considering whether or not 12 months is a sufficient length of time to minimize any advantage in women’s competition).

Based on the above criteria, your friend will not be eligible to compete as a female in SBA until the Spring of 2021 at the earliest.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

As per the ASA (USA Softball), the gender listed on the individual's driver's license is what will determine the individual's gender as far as playing eligibility is concerned. Softball America is an ASA registered league and will follow ASA guidelines. Case closed.