Hatfield Lights

General League Announcements and Discussion
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Hatfield Lights

Post by sixofdiamonds »

I was informed of the light situation on Thursday evening, September 17th. On September 18th (6:45 am) I reached out to Hatfield Township about it. Short of climbing up the poles and replacing them myself, I am doing everything I can to get the bulbs replaced. The wheels of government move very slowly.

Ya know, some of you can give me the benefit of the doubt once in a while instead of popping off to anyone that will listen about how I don't care, and I don't do this and I don't do that. When something needs to be done, I do it! It may not always appear that way, but things are rarely as they appear. I take a lot of pride in my commitment to the league. Not looking for kudos- just a little less backstabbing. Below is my email exchange with Hatfield Parks and Recreation. Email chain starts at the bottom.

If league members continue to complain, the Township recommends we postpone all games under the lights. I don't think any of us want that to happen. I was at the field last night and while it's not as bright as we are accustomed to, it's definitely playable.

Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 1:54 PM
To: Broudy, Ashley <>
Subject: Fwd: Re: [EXT] School Road Lights

Hey Les good morning,
I just checked to lights at the field and it looks like it's still the original 6 that we noted last week. I'm waiting to hear back from the company on costs and availability, and will notify you guys when we have a solution. Thanks for your cooperation,
-Steve

On September 28, 2020 9:28:17 AM EDT, "Broudy, Ashley" <abroudy@hatfield.org> wrote:

Les – Thanks for the quick reply. We will keep you updated as soon as we hear back from the company and get some information. I know Steve was following up with them again today. Just know we are aware and are working on it. Things just don’t always move as quickly as we would like. Stay tuned.

Thanks again!

Ashley Broudy, CPRP
Director of Parks and Recreation
Hatfield Township
(P) 215.855.0900
www.hatfield.org

Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 9:21 AM
Cc: Ridner, Steve <>
Subject: Re: FW: Re: [EXT] School Road Lights

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. While I personally believe the ball field is playable, I will run it by the league. My guess is we will continue to play. If so, we will assume any and all liability.

Thanks,
Les

Hi Les –

Steve has filled me in on the issue with the lights. He is looking into everything and working on a solution. Unfortunately, it’s going to depend on final costs and availability. We did not have anything budgeted or booked with the company for this year. Once Steve gets more information we will provide you with an update. For now, I would suggest postponing any games that require lights.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Ashley Broudy, CPRP
Hatfield Township
(P) 215.855.0900
www.hatfield.org

Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 8:57 AM
Subject: Fwd: Re: [EXT] School Road Lights

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Sep 25, 2020 9:24 PM
Subject: Re: [EXT] School Road Lights
To: "Ridner, Steve" <>
Cc:
Steve,

More lamps went out this week. Players are telling me it's very dangerous. Can you get them replaced sooner rather than later?

Thanks,
Les

On September 21, 2020 9:19:39 AM EDT, "Ridner, Steve" <> wrote:
Hey Les ,
Thanks for notifying me on the lights. I will call the company we go through to replace them and see their availability. Depending on that it may not be until next year but I'll keep you informed.

-Steve

On Sep 18, 2020 6:45 AM, Softball America <> wrote:

Hi Steve,

There are 5 or 6 fixtures at the School Road Park ball field that are in need of bulb replacement.

Thanks,
Les
blouderback
Major League Poster

Re: Hatfield Lights

Post by blouderback »

Thanks for keeping us up to date, Les. BTW, its now 7 lights out. The pole by the 3rd base dugout has all 4 lights out, and 3 of 6 are out in left field.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Ugh!
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

I am doing everything I can to get the bulbs replaced. I went so far as to offer the township help with the cost. I am waiting for an answer. If you and your teammates feel it is too dangerous to play under the present conditions, I will understand. Let me know and I will reschedule your game for an available opening in the schedule or on a Saturday morning. There isn't much more I can do about it. Believe me, I'm trying.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Well, an immediate resolution is not looking real good (read below from bottom to top). Any teams that feel the lighting condition poses a hazard to their safety, let me know and I will reschedule your games for an open spot on another night (if available) or a Saturday morning.
Hi Les –

I apologize for the flood of emails today. Just trying to keep you up to date as we receive information. We heard back from the company that would fix the lights and the earliest they can come out is the very end of October.

Based on your schedule – it doesn’t look like we can accommodate games that require lighting for the remainder of your season. We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, this one is out of our control.

Ashley Broudy, CPRP
Hatfield Township
(P) 215.855.0900
www.hatfield.org

Hi Les –

Just wanted to update you: We did hear back from the light company about the scope of work. We are waiting for them to confirm their availability to complete the work. The likelihood is that they may not be available to complete the work until November. We are reaching out to a second company to see if they might have an earlier availability. This is not a job that our staff can fix so we are completely dependent on the availability of these companies.

Unfortunately, if these companies are not able to get out here to do the work and safety is an issue, your group will have to postpone or cancel night games. We can alter the permit or work with you to try and find alternatives.

We hope to hear back from both companies by tomorrow and will update you with the time frame. Hopefully they will be able to come out sooner.

Thanks again for the constant communication and patience as we work on this.
Ashley Broudy, CPRP
Hatfield Township
(P) 215.855.0900
www.hatfield.org

Hi Les,

Steve will take a look at the additional lights you noted being out. Unfortunately, we haven’t gotten to the financial piece yet. We are still waiting to hear back from the company that services the lights. It’s going to be dependent upon their response and availability as well. We will keep you updated. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop about the additional lights.
Ashley Broudy, CPRP
Hatfield Township
(P) 215.855.0900
www.hatfield.org

Sent: Saturday, October 3, 2020 7:56 AM
To: Ridner, Steve <>
Cc: Broudy, Ashley <>
Subject: RE: [EXT] School Road Lights

Hi Steve/Ashley,

I am confident you and the Township are doing all you can about the School Rd. ball field lighting issue. Have you made any progress? I was at the field on Friday evening and now the entire bank of lights on the 3rd base side is completely out (see attached). Ugh!

Not playing games there is not an option for us. We as a league are really behind the 8-ball. Have you come up with a cost estimate? If it’s a cash issue, what if I were to kick in $1,000 (or even $2,000) to help get the lights replaced this year and the Township can reimburse me with a credit towards next year’s rental fees? Would that help?

Thanks,
Les
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Hi Les –

I just wanted to update you and let you know that we did schedule for the lights at the School Road Park softball fields to be fixed. However, as previously mentioned, the company is not available until the end of October. Once we receive an actual confirmed date, we will update you and the other groups that use that field for scheduling purposes, etc.

I apologize that they aren’t available sooner.

Thanks
Ashley Broudy, CPRP
Hatfield Township
1950 School Road
Hatfield, PA 19440
(P) 215.855.0900
(F) 215.855.0243
www.hatfield.org
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

On October 12, 2020 9:29:27 AM EDT, "Broudy, Ashley" <> wrote:
Hi Les –

I just wanted to update you and let you know that we did schedule for the lights at the School Road Park softball fields to be fixed. However, as previously mentioned, the company is not available until the end of October. Once we receive an actual confirmed date, we will update you and the other groups that use that field for scheduling purposes, etc.

I apologize that they aren’t available sooner.

Thanks
Ashley Broudy, CPRP
Hatfield Township
1950 School Road
Hatfield, PA 19440
(P) 215.855.0900
(F) 215.855.0243
www.hatfield.org
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

It looks like we will have full lighting for Thursday playoffs. Amen!
Hi Les –

I just want to give you a heads up that we anticipate the company coming out tomorrow to start work on the lights at the softball field. We are not sure yet how the process will go, but if for some reason it looks like it will affect your evening games then I will reach out and let you know.

Thanks!
Ashley Broudy, CPRP
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

Yay!