Rule awareness

General League Announcements and Discussion
jlp42885
Double A Poster

Rule awareness

Post by jlp42885 »

There were two unusual plays that I witnessed yesterday that I believe should be discussed to bring general awareness to the league.
1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a wrong bag situation at 1st base is ALWAYS an appeal play, right? I was under the belief that the umpire must call the runner out or safe based solely on the timing and must not by himself say that the wrong bag was hit. He must wait for one of the teams to appeal the play to make that judgement. Correct?
2. Homeruns by any eddie (male or female) at Hatfield do not count towards the team total, right?
Last edited by jlp42885 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geno8121
Triple A Poster

Re: Rule awareness

Post by Geno8121 »

Can we add that an umpire shouldn't curse at a player for asking for clarification on a rule? 😂😂
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

1. Hitting the wrong bag at 1B is an appeal play unless an errant throw draws the first baseman off the inner bag in which case the first baseman can use the outer bag and the runner can use the inner bag.
2. At this point in time, over the fence home runs hit by an eddie (male or female) do not count against the HR limit. This could change if home runs by either eddie group become excessive.
3. Under no circumstances should an umpire curse at a ball player. Email to me when and where this situation occurred.
Geno8121
Triple A Poster

Post by Geno8121 »

Thank you Sir
jlp42885
Double A Poster

Post by jlp42885 »

#3 becomes even more applicable when said umpire makes the wrong ruling on questions 1 & 2 and is adamant in his ruling.
Joestheman
Major League Poster

Post by Joestheman »

You can't do anything about a catch or trap, fair or foul, out or safe. But when it's a matter of interpreting the rules, the manager has the right to protest. It does you no good whatsoever to get into a shouting match in those situations. My advice ( no one asked for it, I know) is stay calm, get an explanation and decide whether or not to challenge the ruling.
Geno8121
Triple A Poster

Post by Geno8121 »

Joestheman!!!! Seriously though... Joe you're the man
jlp42885
Double A Poster

Post by jlp42885 »

Certain umpires such as yourself Joe, are approachable.... others are not. Those others do not make the situation any easier. When the team is trying to have a discussion on if they want to protest the ruling, others may and often become belligerent. Even after the team decides to ultimately NOT protest the game, said umpire continues to yap abut it to the scorekeepers and spectators and holds up the game. In this particular case I politely asked this umpire if we could resume the game instead of delaying it further. Said umpire fired back with, "DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!"
Reactions like this from league officials do not belong on the field.