All-Star List Formulation

General League Announcements and Discussion
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

All-Star List Formulation

Post by sixofdiamonds »

The all-star list will be revised in both the men's and coed leagues for the 2019 softball year. League member Greg Thompson has developed a formula for producing all-stars based on a player's Runs Created (RUNC). We will give it a shot. This should eliminate what I call 'collateral' all-stars - all-stars created as a result of being part of a strong run-producing team. By design, the original formula took into account Runs Scored (R) and RBIs (RBI) which had the tendency to make fringe players all-stars if they were on a strong team. On one hand that was good because it acted as a governor for really strong teams. On the other hand, if that fringe player played on another night, his all-star status could conceivably hurt that team.

What will not change is the team manager's responsibility to keep track of his/her all-stars and petition for their release. Once a player is on the all-star list, that player stays on the list until he is petitioned for removal by a team manager. What will also not change is league protocol with respect to an all-star's eligibility to come off the list. An all-star shall remain an all-star until he proves he is no longer worthy of that title. Not playing or not playing enough (<36 at-bats) through the course of a given year is not ample proof for that player be considered a non-all-star. As an example, let's say one of the best players in the league was an all-star in 2016. He doesn't play at all or plays on a limited basis in 2017 while putting up so-so numbers. That, in and of itself, is NOT grounds for him to be taken off the list. Such a player must prove he is no longer worthy by garnering 36 or more at-bats and not making the top 100, or whatever the cutoff happens to be. It would be incredibly irresponsible of the league and extremely unfair to most teams in the league if we allowed top-notch players to be taken off the list without good cause.

In closing, I want to thank Greg Thompson for his effort to make the league better. We will see where this takes us and tweak if need be. Consider it a work in progress.
CarsonWentz
Rookie Poster

Re: All-Star List Formulation

Post by CarsonWentz »

Where is the current list of All-Stars for Spring 2018? Also, when making the list I think it would be a nice addition to see the team name next to the player name so we can see the all star count for each team. Thanks.
jlp42885
Double A Poster

Post by jlp42885 »

Men's List - http://www.cuttingedgesports.net/statis ... ns2018.htm

Coed List - http://www.cuttingedgesports.net/statis ... ed2018.htm

Having team names next to the player would be pure chaos. Players are on different teams on different nights, season by season. In addition, some players haven't played SBA in quite some time so listing the team would be asinine.
CarsonWentz
Rookie Poster

Post by CarsonWentz »

Your explanation makes a lot of sense after thinking about it...

Are those links showing players that have been nominated as All-Stars at the end of Spring 2018 or going into Spring 2018?
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Those links show 2017 all-stars for the 2018 season. I think you might be referring to Spring MVPs. I am in the process of formulating them now. They should be posted in the next couple of days or so.
CarsonWentz
Rookie Poster

Post by CarsonWentz »

Yes, I am referring to 2018 Spring MVP's. I will wait for your list to be formulated. Thanks!