Labor Day 1-Pitch Tournament / Fall 2019 Results

General Discussion of Softball Tournaments
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Labor Day 1-Pitch Tournament / Fall 2019 Results

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Team #5 (Zack Martin/Katie O'toole) outlasted a very game Team #2 (Nick Maile/Stephanie Maile). After advancing to the winner's bracket finals with relative ease and then taking a 10-1 lead into the 2nd inning of that game, "Team 5 meet Cat 5 Hurricane Maile". Chipping away at the lead like surf pounding the sand, Team 2 prevailed 18-15. With a 7th game (4th straight) ahead of them, how much punch could Team 2 muster? Injured, cramping, and flat out fatigued, they made the effort but just couldn't summon the strength. In the end, Team 5 takes the finale and the tourney title without much struggle. Congrats to Team 5 on a well played tourney. Hats off to Team 2 on a very game effort.

Front row (left to right): Blaze Wasserleben, Robbin Worthington, Katie O'Toole, Brian Penecale, Brittany Ullman
Middle row (left to right): Mike Cianfichi, Kristin Thompson, Wayne Wiley, Craig Richards, Frank Staber
Back row (left to right): Zack Martin, Mark Bernacki, Sean Przychowicz
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Re: Labor Day 1-Pitch Tournament / Fall 2019 Results

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Tournament Tidbits

Great day. Great weather. As head scorekeeper Nancy Razzi might say to me when asked how things went, "Everyone got along and played nicely in the sandbox".

After not drafting husband Mike to her team and after running on him from 1st to 3rd on a base hit to right, Becky Canelli was gunned downed by right center fielder and husband Mike Canelli's laser-like throw. Poetic justice?

Brian Penecale (Pen) did a magnificent job getting the ball field ready for play. Had I not pulled the hose too hard and broken the coupling, he would have watered down the field more often. OK, bring out the 'pull the hose too hard' jokes.

There were quite a few players playing in the tournament that have been in the league almost or more than 20 years ago. Among the group were Bob Garges, Steph Garrett, Tom Montvydas, Kelly Neill, Vicki Ponente, Ron Pulli, Linda Dart, Chris Hesdon, Keith Keppley, Mike Cianfichi, John Kiefer, Becky Canelli (Foley) and Kris Smedley. I hope I didn't miss anyone.

Thanks to Rich Edmundson, we have more than 300 tourney photos. We hope to have them processed and posted by the weekend. Thank you, Rich!

The Memorial Day tourney draft in the spring of 2020 will be an auction style affair. With a fictitious bankroll of $200.00 each manager tandem will bid on the players they want. Highest bidder takes that player.

I'm sure there was more. I just can't remember all of them at this time. Maybe next tourney I'll take notes.