Labor Day 1-Pitch Tournament / COVID-19

General Discussion of Softball Tournaments
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Labor Day 1-Pitch Tournament / COVID-19

Post by sixofdiamonds »

I will admit I came very, very close to canceling this year's fall classic. In fact, I am still on the fence as to whether it is the right thing to do in the current environment. The safety and welfare of league members and their families is a real concern for me. While we are currently playing regular season softball, teams have the opportunity to distance themselves from their teammates and other teams. They have the option of leaving the ball field once their game is over. In a 1-pitch tournament setting, social distancing becomes more difficult and leaving the ball field after the game highly inconvenient. The very last thing I want to do is create an environment in which the COVID-19 virus can proliferate

If league members are willing to social distance themselves, it can work. Doing so would keep league members AND their families out of harm's way. The problem is, I see that happening only on a small scale in the regular season. Add more people to the mix in a confined tournament setting and it could be a recipe for disaster.

If this tournament is going to happen, here is what I expect. Ball players are to keep a reasonable distance from one another at all times during the day. Team managers will be held responsible to ensure that happens. Ball players are asked to keep friends and family away from the ball field. The fewer people at the field, the better. Without the influx of fans, there is more than enough room to set up socially distanced tents, chairs, coolers and barbecue grills. Spray bottles of an antimicrobial known as Steramine will be available on both sides of the field. Use it and use it often.

I know a lot of people don't take COVID-19 seriously. By the same token, a lot of people do. I see both sides. My goal is to appease both sides. Those that don't take it seriously will need to respect the wishes of those that do by adhering to the guidelines. If, as the tournament progresses, the aforementioned guidelines are not met, I will not hesitate to return each team's tournament money envelope, shut down the ball field and we will go home.

As league/tournament director, I have a responsibility to maintain the safest softball environment as I possibly can. While I don't expect everyone will understand that, my hope is the vast majority can/will at least respect it.
Hack24

Re: Labor Day 1-Pitch Tournament / COVID-19

Post by Hack24 »

I would think if people were concerned they wouldn't be playing. To me alot of the players are my friends and extended family, We go to one another's homes and our children play together. I'm all for safety but if someone signed up just to complain stay away. I talk to a few people I know that normally play and they taking this one off cause of concern but not looking to ruin it for us that see one another nightly. I play tournaments where there plenty of teams and no one complains. As I said I'm all for safety but we all adults and can determine if we feel safe or not. Softball is my escape if you don't feel safe don't ruin that for others. Me and my teams always cook we have Sunday funday and we all been healthy. If you don't feel good stay home, if you concerned stay home, but please let us play