Men's Fall Classic 1-Pitch Tournament 2020

General Discussion of Softball Tournaments
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Men's Fall Classic 1-Pitch Tournament 2020

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Date: Saturday, October 10, 2020
Rain Date: October 17th, 2020
1st Game: 9:00 am (all games to be played at the Eureka Quarry Field)

Entry Fee: $300.00* per team (2 games guaranteed)
1st Place: $1,000.00
2nd Place: $600.00

*All tournament prize money payout is being handled by Chris Hackney. I will organize and set up the tournament. I will hold the cash until tournament day. Chris will run the tourney. He will pay the tourney expenses which include extra trash container and pickup, extra port a pot service, ASA tourney insurance, softballs and electric. Chris will distribute the prize money. The $300 cash team entry fee must be remitted to the league on or before October 1st. You can give it to me or Nancy Razzi at the Quarry ball field.

Each batter receives 1 pitch. If the pitch is fouled off, swung at and missed or hits the mat or plate, the batter is struck out. If the pitch is a ball, the batter walks. Fair batted balls are played in normal fashion. The pace of play is fast. The games are quick. It's a lot of fun for sure.

This is a great opportunity to make a name for yourself in the SBA Community and earn some prize money cash. You can enter your own SBA league team. You can enter a partial SBA league team and cherry pick players from other teams to join up with you. Or, you can build a team from scratch with any combination of players from any combination of teams. The only requirements are listed below.

Roster Requirements: Each team must have in their line-up at all times no less than 6 registered Softball America league members. Registered SBA league member refers to any player that has paid a league fee in 2020, be it summer or fall. This is an insurance requirement. Tournament teams need not be the same as regular season teams. Tournament teams can be a combination of 2 or more teams. The 6 registered SBA members on a tournament team can be from 6 different teams. As long as you have these 6 SBA members, you can fill in with whomever you like.

Thus far, the following 5 teams have expressed interest...

Doom Cats
Demons (Vertex)
The Commission
Philly Junk
Ballz Deep
Foul Balls
Palz Tap House
Mike's Bar & Grill

Yes, there are some good teams entered, but they aren't THAT good. The 1-pitch format is the great equalizer. There is limited space. With 8 teams already entered, no spots remain. You can add your team to the team alternate list if you'd like. Email the league office ASAP if you are interested.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Re: Men's Fall Classic 1-Pitch Tournament 2020

Post by sixofdiamonds »

sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Mike's Bar & Grill can no longer attend the tournament. I've reached out to the Thursday Men's Sex Panthers who expressed interest a while back. Another team, a Philadelphia Fire Department softball team, has also expressed interest, but I'm not sure they would be able to meet the 6 league member minimum. If you have a team interested in entering this tournament, now would be a good time to let me know.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Sex Panther by Odeon (manager Keith Hass) will replace Mike's Bar & Grill in the Men's Fall Classic 1-Pitch. A lottery to determine team numbers will be forthcoming.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

The 3-digit number to determine tournament team numbers and subsequent first round match-ups will be established via the PA Pick 3 Lottery on Monday, October 5th (day draw). https://www.palottery.state.pa.us/Draw- ... ICK-3.aspx

The managing tandem with the 3-digit number that is closest to the PA Pick 3 number (plus/minus) will be Team #1. Using each of the remaining manager tandem's 3-digit numbers, we will move in ascending order from the winning number to determine the balance of the team numbers. 000 will follow 999.

Doom Cats - 215
Demons (Vertex) - 619
The Commission - 815
Philly Junk - 428
Ballz Deep - 224
Foul Balls - 777
Palz Tap House - 822
Sex Panther by Odeon - 561
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

PA Pick 3 Lottery, 8/5 day draw: 946
Closest to that number (plus/minus): Team #1: Palz Tap House - 822

Moving in ascending order, the rest of the team number assignments are as follows:

Team #1: Palz Tap House - 822
Team #2: Doom Cats - 215
Team #3: Ballz Deep - 224
Team #4: Philly Junk - 428
Team #5: Sex Panther by Odeon - 561
Team #6: Demons (Vertex) - 619
Team #7: Foul Balls - 777
Team #8: The Commission - 815

There you have it. Team #1 will face off vs. Team #2 at 9:00 am on game day. Team #3 will play Team #4 at 9:50. Team #5 will play Team #6 at 10:40 and Team #7 will play Team #8 at 11:30.
Blueeyes
Major League Poster

Post by Blueeyes »

Nancy Snack Shack will be open during the Tournament. Our food menu will be Breakfast sandwiches, honey buns and for kid in everyone brown sugar pop tarts. We will also have hot dogs, chicken melts, cheese steak melts, and hot pockets.There will be an assortment of chips, crackers, and sun flower seeds, Beverages will be soda, water, Gatorade, and red bull. and for your sweet tooth a variety of ice cream, chocolate jr, and butterscotch krimpets. Everyone please enjoy the day and good luck to all the teams.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

After scoring only 2 runs and moving to the loser's bracket in Game 11, The Commission went on a mission scoring 30 in their next to move into the finals. After jumping on the undefeated Doom Cats to post 28 through 6 1/2 innings, the Doom Cats scratched and clawed their way back. Bottom of 7, score 28-27, 2 outs, runners in scoring position, the Cats would come up short. Final game for the whole enchilada. The Commission scores 6 in the first. Cats would answer with 12. 25-21 after 3. Looked and felt like a football game. 31 all after 5 1/2. Bottom 6, the Cats score 4. Top 7, The Commission's mission would come to an end. Doom Cats prevail 35-32.

I've been running 1-pitch tourneys for 20 years. Been in softball for almost 50. Never saw anything quite like the final 4 games. In fact, the most exciting game of the tourney was the Vertex Demons/Philly Junk affair. Down 28 to 16 in the bottom of the 7th, the Demons roared back to score 13 with most of the 13 coming with 2 outs, winning the game 29-28. The average winning score for the tourney was almost 23 runs.

Great day! Good time was had by all. I want to thank umpire extraordinaire, Curtis Hensman who officiated all 15 games and kept things moving smoothly. I want to thank all 8 teams for conducting themselves in the most sportsmanlike manner I've seen in quite some time.
TK15
Double A Poster

Post by TK15 »

The weather was perfect and all 8 teams had a great time. I'd like to make the mens fall classic an annual event!
Flash
Rookie Poster

Post by Flash »

Thanks for organizing! despite the 33-0 shellacking we took, it was a great day and we had a lot of fun
Diesel2017
Rookie Poster

Post by Diesel2017 »

It might take my legs a year to be ready for another day like that....lol
TK15
Double A Poster

Post by TK15 »

Based on the stats posted using the normal 1 pitch formula, Evan Porter got most valuable "producer" with 227 pts, while Troy Wass got MVP with 207 pts