Marsh Family 1-Pitch Tournament Intro

General Discussion of Softball Tournaments
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Marsh Family 1-Pitch Tournament Intro

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Bernie Marsh has been a league member for longer than I can remember. A large part of Bernie's family is currently playing or has played in the league. Bernie loves softball and never sits out a season. Bernie is sitting out this season because he is battling cancer. To make matters worse, his wife JoAnn is battling cancer right along with him. Talk about rough sledding. Even with insurance, their medical expenses are skyrocketing out of control. With not being able to work, times have become very tough for them. Bernie is a proud man and would never ask for help. His family is stepping up asking for help for him.

Here is a recent gofundme (https://www.gofundme.com/help-for-the-marsh-family) post from his daughter, Jess...
Life has dealt us a lot of lemons in the past few months and it keeps piling on. It is incredibly difficult for us to ask for help, but it has become unavoidable. We are completely devastated that both Bernie and JoAnn have been diagnosed with bone cancer. JoAnn has battled breast cancer for many years and is now fighting metastatic breast cancer. Bernie recently has been diagnosed with cancer, as the doctors had a difficult time pinpointing the origin, we now have answers and he is now facing Chemo treatments. The medical bills are piling up, and the copays are astronomical. Bernie is once again admitted into the hospital while waiting for answers and trying to get him healthy enough to come home. With Bernie being unable to work suddenly and unexpectedly they need more support then we are able to give them on our own. We are blessed to have wonderful friends and family help us though this difficult time, and prayers are more than welcome. Thank you! ❤️
The Labor Day Coed Tournament will be labeled the Marsh Family 1-Pitch. I know I will be helping. I hope you can do the same. I also hope and I pray that you will never experience something like this, but know in your heart if you did, the league would be there for you as well.

Let's make this a successful fundraising tourney to help good people get through a bad time. I will post tournament particulars toward the end of July. Meantime, if you are interested in throwing your hat into the managerial ring, please contact the league office. To manage you need a tandem of 1 male and 1 female.

Date: Sunday, September 2, 2018
Time: 8:00 am - 10:00 pm
grfulsted

Re: The Marsh Family 1-Pitch Tournament 2018

Post by grfulsted »

Why are these folks not on Medicare? I was told these folks are over 65. They should be on Medicare Part A, B and Plan F supplemental the company doesn’t matter. If they do this they won’t pay anything out of pocket for medical. Have them call me to stop the spigot of green coming out their pockets. My mother had breast cancer just going onto Medicare never paid a dime out of pocket. She is 8 years out. Richard Stead 215-917-1145
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

There are other costs besides just the medical costs that are not covered by insurance or Medicare.
grfulsted

Post by grfulsted »

Based on what I read it is mostly Medical. I am trying to help. I can help if they are not utilizing Medicare. 20 years of senior planning speaking to me could save these folks thousands.
FlyersFan93

Re: Marsh Family 1-Pitch Tournament Intro

Post by FlyersFan93 »

when does registration open up for this tournament?
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Re: Marsh Family 1-Pitch Tournament Intro

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Registration will open as soon as the lottery for team numbers is concluded. I can't run the lottery until I get all manager tandem 3-digit numbers. I am waiting on 1 tandem.