Overthrows from the outfield

General Discussion of Topics Related to Individual Leagues
blouderback
Major League Poster

Overthrows from the outfield

Post by blouderback »

Correct me if I am wrong, but the rule is:
.All throws from the outfield that go out of play are treated the same as second throw from the infield. That is, the ball is dead and all runners, including the batter-runner, are awarded two bases from the time of the throw.
Emphasis on FROM THE TIME OF THE THROW.

I see far too many umpires awarding 3 bases, thinking they are awarding 2.

Example: runners on 1st and 2nd, single to center field. Center fielder throws to 3rd, ball goes out of play. Neither runners had reached 2nd or 3rd when the fielder threw the ball, so the runner who was on 3rd is awarded 2 bases, 3rd and home, and the runner on first is awarded 2 bases, 2nd and 3rd. That runner who was originally on 1st is not awarded home.
MikeY
Triple A Poster

Re: Overthrows from the outfield

Post by MikeY »

I don't see what the problem is in that example situation.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

The problem is,twice this past Sunday (2 different games) the umpire awarded 3 bases to the runner on first.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

When I explained his error to him, he insisted that he was correct in awarding the runner from 1st base "2 bases", 3rd and home. He incorrectly assumed that 2 bases are awarded from the point where the runner is WHEN THE BALL GOES OUT OF PLAY, not at the point of the THROW.

BTW, the mistake was made in my favor, and I still brought it up to him. I want the rules to be applied correctly no matter the outcome for my team.
TK15
Double A Poster

Post by TK15 »

Umpires call the games to the best of their abilities. I believe that as long as the umpire calls the game equally for both sides and interprets the rules to the best of their abilities, then there is no issue. Taking to the message board to slander an umpire after a call you don't agree with doesn't seem to be very helpful.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

No slander. I didn't name the umpire. As I mentioned, the call went in our favor. But, it was wrong, I THINK. I like to see the rules applied correctly.

Am i correct in my interpretation of the rule?
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

Besides, slander must be spoken. So if anything it would be libel, but it isn't that either.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

I don't know about far too many unless you consider 1 far too many. I've been watching SBA games for 20 years and have yet to see that happen. Not saying it hasn't or won't happen, but far too many sounds a bit exaggerated. How about throwing your hat into the umpiring ring there Bob?

BTW, the 2 bases is awarded from the 'point of release' of any throw- infield or outfield.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

LOL! No thanks. What's that saying about not wanting to join any club who would have me as a member? I wouldn't want to umpire in a league that has players like me.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

When I explained his error to him, he insisted that he was correct in awarding the runner from 1st base "2 bases", 3rd and home. He incorrectly assumed that 2 bases are awarded from the point where the runner is WHEN THE BALL GOES OUT OF PLAY, not at the point of the THROW.
Am i correct in my interpretation of the rule?
If the runner that was on 1B had reached 2B at the time of or before the ball left the outfielder's hand, that runner should be awarded 2 bases - 3B and home. If the runner that was on 1B had not reached 2B when the ball left the outfielder's hand, the runner should be awarded 2 bases - 2B and 3B.