U Make The Call

General Discussion of Topics Related to Individual Leagues
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

U Make The Call

Post by sixofdiamonds »

U Make The Call I

With a runner on 2B, the batter takes a full swing and hits a slow roller down the 1B line. The batter begins to run as the first baseman fields the ball in fair territory and several feet in front of 1B. In an attempt to give the runner on 2B time to advance toward 3B, the batter takes a step backward, forcing the first baseman to move toward them for a tag.

A. The batter/runner is called out, the ball is dead, and all runners must return to the last legally touched base.
B. There is no penalty. The first baseman must complete the play and any runners can advance at their own risk.
C. None of the above.

U Make The Call II

With one out and the bases loaded, the batter hits a high pop fly to the infield. The umpire calls 'infield fly'. The
ball drops near 3B untouched and starts to roll foul. The third baseman throws their glove at the ball to prevent it from rolling foul and the glove hits the ball over (a) fair territory or (b) foul territory.

A. In (a) the 'infield fly' stays in effect for the second out and all three runners score. In (b) it is a foul ball.
B. In (a) the 'infield fly' becomes null and void and the runners must advance to the next base. In (b) it is a foul ball.
C. In (a) the 'infield fly' remains in effect for the second out and the runners can advance at their own risk. In (b) it is a dead ball.
D. In (a) the 'infield fly' remains in effect for the second out and the runners can advance at their own risk. In (b) it is a foul ball.
E. None of the above.

U Make The Call III

The batter hits a ground ball to the shortstop who throws to 1B. The first baseman juggles the ball and it rolls up his/her arm and is clamped to the body by an elbow or forearm when the first baseman touches 1B prior to the batter reaching the bag.

A. The batter is safe.
B. The batter is out.
C. None of the above.

U Make The Call IV

The batter doubles and misses 1B. While the batter is advancing to 2B, the ball is overthrown into dead ball territory. A dead ball is ruled and the batter is awarded 3B. The batter advances to 3B but then returns via 2B to touch 1B. The defense appeals the batter missing 1B.

A. The batter is ruled out.
B. The batter is awarded 2B.
C. The batter is awarded 3B.
D. Non of the above.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Re: U Make The Call

Post by blouderback »

1. A
2. C
3. B
4. B
Last edited by blouderback on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jlp42885
Double A Poster

Post by jlp42885 »

4. the ruling is predicated on if the umpire(s) determine that the runner missed the bag. If they saw the runner miss the bag and the appeal is made before the runner can retreat to get back to it, then the runner is out, regardless if the ball is out of play. The play isn't dead until the next pitch is thrown. I have seen "homeruns" that are hit out of the park, but the batter missed a bag. The defense can appeal the missed bag and the homerun is voided and the runner is out.
stoney 2
Rookie Poster

Post by stoney 2 »

A A B A
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

That's it? :o Only 3 people dare to make the call? C'mon peeps, umpires have to deal with this stuff every game. Put your fear aside and 'U Make The Call'.
Joestheman
Major League Poster

Post by Joestheman »

My softball season doesn't start 'til I harass Bob. My question: Wanna change any of your answers?
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

LOL, OK, Yes. I cheated and looked it up.
Last edited by blouderback on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
wdshipe
Triple A Poster

Post by wdshipe »

1. B – I would call that smart base-running. I liken it to the situation where there is a runner on 2B and the SS fields a ground ball. Rather than running into the tag, the runner slows down, stops, or reverses to give the other runners more time to advance, avoiding a double play.

2. A – Based on a memory of a MLB incident where a player threw their glove at a batted ball in play, I seem to recall there being a severe penalty for doing that, at least in MLB. The penalty (runners advance 3 bases sounds right and is consistent with answer A where all runners on base score) perhaps applies only if the glove actually hits the ball, which did happen in the incident described in (a) here. The infield fly rule complicates this scenario, but in (b) it makes intuitive sense to me that it would be a foul ball and the “infield fly” would be nullified.

3. B – I would deem that the first baseman had control of the ball based on the description of events here. I don’t think that the ball has to be in his glove. He is allowed to catch it with his bare hand or, say, between his two elbows, right?

4. C – If the batter returned to touch 1B, it’s too late to make the appeal, I would think.

Great scenarios, Les. Perhaps this is part of the reason why you posted them, but I think it's important to acknowledge how difficult the job of an umpire is when we get frustrated about calls in our own games. Sometimes the rules that apply are truly complex, and we perhaps unfairly expect that the umpire will get the call right, and in the matter of a split-second. I spent about 20 minutes thinking about these - I can't fathom being the umpire on the spot in a game where this kind of stuff was happening.
Joestheman
Major League Poster

Post by Joestheman »

So what answer did you change?
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

I changed my answer to #1.
Joestheman
Major League Poster

Post by Joestheman »

That's a good start.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

With 276 views and only a small handful of peeps willing to put on their umpire cap, my guess is we've seen all we're going to see. Below are the correct rulings.

U Make The Call I

With a runner on 2B, the batter takes a full swing and hits a slow roller down the 1B line. The batter begins to run as the first baseman fields the ball in fair territory and several feet in front of 1B. In an attempt to give the runner on 2B time to advance toward 3B, the batter takes a step backward, forcing the first baseman to move toward them for a tag.

A. The batter/runner is called out, the ball is dead, and all runners must return to the last legally touched base.
B. There is no penalty. The first baseman must complete the play and any runners can advance at their own risk.
C. None of the above.

Correct Answer: A
RULING: The instant the batter/runner steps back the batter/runner is out, the ball is dead, and all runners must return to the last legally touched base. (8-2H)

NOTE: Being called out for moving backwards only applies to a runner running to 1B. It does not apply on any other base path.

U Make The Call II

With one out and the bases loaded, the batter hits a high pop fly to the infield. The umpire calls 'infield fly'. The
ball drops near 3B untouched and starts to roll foul. The third baseman throws their glove at the ball to prevent it from rolling foul and the glove hits the ball over (a) fair territory or (b) foul territory.

A. In (a) the 'infield fly' stays in effect for the second out and all three runners score. In (b) it is a foul ball.
B. In (a) the 'infield fly' becomes null and void and the runners must advance to the next base. In (b) it is a foul ball.
C. In (a) the 'infield fly' remains in effect for the second out and the runners can advance at their own risk. In (b) it is a dead ball.
D. In (a) the 'infield fly' remains in effect for the second out and the runners can advance at their own risk. In (b) it is a foul ball.
E. None of the above.

RULING: In (a) the infield fly stays in effect for the second out, and all three runners will score. In (b) it is a foul ball. (8-5F)

U Make The Call III

The batter hits a ground ball to the shortstop who throws to 1B. The first baseman juggles the ball and it rolls up his/her arm and is clamped to the body by an elbow or forearm when the first baseman touches 1B prior to the batter reaching the bag.

A. The batter is safe.
B. The batter is out.
C. None of the above.

RULING: The batter is safe. The defense must securely hold the ball in the glove or hand before the runner touches the bag. (1-TAG-A; 1-CATCH/NO CATCH-A[2])

U Make The Call IV

The batter doubles and misses 1B. While the batter is advancing to 2B, the ball is overthrown into dead ball territory. A dead ball is ruled and the batter is awarded 3B. The batter advances to 3B but then returns via 2B to touch 1B. The defense appeals the batter missing 1B.

A. The batter is ruled out.
B. The batter is awarded 2B.
C. The batter is awarded 3B.
D. None of the above.

RULING: The batter/runner is ruled out. Once a base runner advances to the next 'awarded' base, the runner may no longer return to touch any base missed or any base left too soon. (8-5G Effect)
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

#3: What if a player has no hands?
wdshipe
Triple A Poster

Post by wdshipe »

Wow. Making The Call is a humbling experience.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

Maybe this would be easier if we had access to an ASA (USA?) Softball rule book. Anyone have a current version? I've searched the interwebs and cannot find one.