League Schedules Fall 2018

General Discussion of Topics Related to Individual Leagues
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

League Schedules Fall 2018

Post by sixofdiamonds »

The plan to finish out the fall season of 2018 will include the use of Stover Park ball field in Telford Borough. Hatfield Township has abruptly shut down the School Road ball field for the rest of the year. Most leagues will be finishing things out on a different day/night than originally scheduled.

Per league rules...
RESCHEDULING OF GAMES: Softball America will make every effort to schedule games on the days/nights and at the times teams sign up for; however, we reserve the right to schedule games to the contrary when presented with extenuating circumstances.

The 2018 weather year certainly qualifies as an extenuating circumstance.

Monday Coed
The A Division finals have concluded with a concession by Dugout Demons. The B Division playoffs will be held on Monday, November 19th at both the Quarry and Stover ball fields. The B Division 2/3 Finals will be held on Tuesday, November 20th at Stover Park.

Tuesday Men's
Playoffs on Wednesday, November 14th at the Quarry ball field. 2/3 Finals on Tuesday, November 20th at the Quarry.

Thursday Men's
If Mother Nature cooperate (doubtful), the 2/3 Finals in the A Division will be played on November 15th at the Quarry while the B Division will play at Stover Park. If Mother Nature does not cooperate (likely), the 2/3 Finals will move to Wednesday, November 21st at the Quarry and Stover Park.

Friday Men's
Playoffs at Stover, November 16th. 2/3 Finals at Stover, November 23rd.

Sunday Men's
The 2/3 Finals for the A, B East, West, and South Divisions will be held for this Sunday, November 18th. A Divison is at the Quarry, 10:00 am. B East is at Lukens 1, 10:00 am. B West is at Lukens 3, 10:00 am. With Hatfield going dark and coed finals in the afternoon, the B South has moved to Cedar Hill with a 9:00 am start. The B North will play their playoff round on Sunday November 18th with the 2/3 Finals the following Sunday, November 25th. All B North games will be held at the Doyle/Lenape ball field.

Sunday Coed
The B Division 2/3 Finals will be held November 18th. With Hatfield going dark, the games have been moved to Cedar Hill. The start time for the best of 3 series is 1:00 pm.

Well, that's the plan moving forward. If it doesn't work, we'll figure something else out. All schedules have been updated and posted online.
MikeY
Triple A Poster

Re: League Schedules Fall 2018

Post by MikeY »

Since the Sunday over-40 league is over, can the Sunday coed B-championship be played at the Quarry starting at 2:00 instead of Cedar Hill? Or is it specifically at Cedar Hill for a reason?
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Well Mike... that would be the logical move, but when it comes to the Quarry ball field, Andy has the final word. I set things up for Cedar Hill, but am working on trying to get the Quarry. Not an easy task when you consider Andy has had it with this softball weather year just like a lot of other people.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

We started the softball year with snow. We are ending it with snow. Never in all my years running the league have I seen a weather year that even remotely resembles this past year. We battled Mother Nature all year long. No matter how hard we tried to get the leagues finished, she step in our way. She is a formidable foe and I think she just issued the knockout punch. SBA is down for the count.

Telford has closed the Stover Park ball field. If it dries out enough by Friday, November 23rd, we will play the Friday Men's playoffs, then declare co-champions if both teams agree. If not, we will continue the post season on an open Saturday in May or June of next year.

With no place to play, co-champs have been declared for Thursday Men's A and B Divisions. If either of the Thursday Men's divisional finalist agree to play out their 2/3 finals, it would have to be on a Saturday in May or June.

If the ball fields are playable for Sunday (highly doubtful), we will play out the B North playoffs and A, B East, West, and South 2/3 finals. I'm getting the feeling Horsham and CBSD will be pulling the plug on us, but we will see. If they do pull the plug, we will play out the B North playoff round and 2/3 finals on Saturdays in May and/or June of 2019. We will declare co champions in the A, B East, West, and South if both teams agree. If not, we will play the 2/3 Finals on an open Saturday in May or June of next year. The same holds true for Sunday Coed 2/3 B Division Finals.

Monday Coed has yet to finish the B Division playoff round. If the Quarry field is playable on Monday, November 19th, we will play 4 games as follows; 4-3 American, 5-2 National, 5-2 American, 4-3 National. We will then move to Wednesday and play the W52 vs. W43 American, W52 vs. W43 National. We will then declare co champions if both teams agree. If not, we will continue the B Division 2/3 Finals on an open Saturday in May or June of next year.

If the Quarry field is playable on Tuesday, November 20th, we will play Tuesday Men's 2/3 Finals. If not, we will continue the Tuesday Men's 2/3 Finals on an open Saturday in May or June of next year.

The Quarry ball field will not be available to us beyond Thanksgiving.

I am truly sorry we had to play so much softball in such horrendous conditions all year. If I had the power to control it, I certainly would have. I am sorry we could not finish all of the leagues in 2018. I can assure you it was not due to a lack of effort. For the most part, league members were pretty cool and understanding and for that I am grateful.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

If the fall season ends and teams agree to play the playoffs and/or 2/3 finals next season, I am more than willing to set it up. This is how it will work.

Playing the 2/3 finals next spring would involve getting the 2 teams together with rosters as close as possible to this year's teams. The 2 teams will agree upon a Saturday in May or June. If there are a lot of roster changes, both teams would have to agree on each other's roster. If agreements can't be reached, co-champions are declared.

The playoffs are quite a different story. With as many as 6 teams in the playoff tournament, recreating rosters to the liking of all 6 teams will be difficult. And, getting all 6 teams to agree on a Saturday would be next to impossible so I would set a firm date well in advance to give teams a chance to make it work. However, if all the playoff teams can't come to roster agreements, the games will not be played and no champions will be declared.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

Screw it! Tee shirts for EVERYONE!
grfulsted

Post by grfulsted »

If Friday night is going to happen might suggest changing it to a 1 pitch affair. Can easily play 4 games and less time for each team having to play it in 20 degree weather.
DZ99
Rookie Poster

Post by DZ99 »

I agree with blouderback! It might be time to throw in the towel and admit defeat. :(

I'd like to suggest (snow) White T-shirts for the remaining Monday Coed Playoff teams that read...
Monday Coed B Division Champion - Fall 2018
Mother Nature

Maybe by finally admitting defeat, sixofdiamonds will be back in Mother Nature's good graces next year! :D
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

League Managers,

Hatfield, CB School District, and Horsham Township have shut down their ball fields until April 2019. All leagues, with the exception of the Friday Men’s and Sunday Men's B North, have reached or will reach the 2/3 finals. Telford will let us use Stover this Friday to get to the finals and possibly the next Friday to finish out the wood bat league. The Quarry is set to close Thanksgiving Day, however, I am working with Andy to open the field (no guarantees) this coming Sunday (weather permitting) or one other day/night for one last time so we can get the Sunday Men’s B North to the 2/3 finals. If Sunday is a go, the B North will play 4 games in the morning at the Quarry starting at 9:00 am.

Co-champions in the Monday Coed B Division, Thursday Men’s A & B Divisions, Sunday Coed B Division and Sunday Men’s (all divisions) will be declared unless BOTH teams agree to play it out on a Saturday in May or June of 2019. If either team opts for co-champions, then co-champions it is at which point I will need you to fill out a championship shirt order located here…
http://www.cuttingedgesports.net/sba2/t ... champ.html

Not to beat a dead horse, but the 2018 weather year has been by far the worst I have ever seen from a scheduling standpoint. Unless you are in a business directly affected by weather, it’s hard to imagine the havoc and disruption caused by week in and week out rain/snow. It’s a true testament to league groundskeepers that we got as far as we did.

Have a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving.

Les
Geno8121
Triple A Poster

Post by Geno8121 »

Well Mother Nature hates us
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

We either completed the season or made it to the 2/3 finals in every league except the Sunday Men's B North Division (B North made it to the 2/3 finals). All ball fields have been closed so league finalist will have to choose between playing the 2/3 finals on a Saturday in the Spring of 2019 or calling it a season and accepting co-championships.

Leagues that have not completed the fall season are listed below along with the league finalist's decision on whether to play it out or accept co-champs.

Sunday Men's A Division - Silverbacks and Pigeon Boyz co-champions
Sunday Men's B North - TBD
Sunday Men's B East - TBD
Sunday Men's B West - Hattrick's and Hambinos co-champions
Sunday Men's B South - The Process and E's Irish Pub will play it out in the spring
Sunday Coed B Division - Cleanin' Up and Jerzees co champions
Monday Coed B Division - Sharks and Sons of Pitches co-champions
Thursday Men's A Division - Mayhem and The Commission will play it our in the spring
Thursday Men's B Division - TBD
Friday Men's - TBD