League Schedules

General Discussion of Topics Related to Individual Leagues
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

League Schedules

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Since last fall, certain leagues have been playing under a new scheduling format. The goal behind the new format is to have two evenly matched leagues (American and National) where teams play every team in their league as well as some teams in the other league. This affords a nice variety of games for each team. The old format with A and B divisions limited my ability to offer this variety - a common complaint among team managers. My goal is to maintain this variety while at the same time maintaining some semblance of order when playoff time arrives. This past spring we almost had a very good A division men's team playing at Hatfield for the B division title. We actually did see a very good A division coed team have to do just that and it might happen again this spring in the Monday Coed league. The reason it happened was because the very good teams had too many games against the other very good teams. That left the door open for the teams with the softer schedule to slip into the A bracket while pushing the A level teams into the B bracket. This is being addressed as we move forward.

Starting with the summer season, the evenly matched league schedules will have a very nice variety of games with match-ups that should produce the appropriate results. If an 'A' quality team fails to make it to the 'A' post season, it will be because the A team wasn't good enough and NOT due to a tough vs. easy schedule.

Please understand, the new format is a work in progress and I ask for some patience while I figure out the best way to implement it. Almost every manager I talked to likes it. Unfortunately, getting it perfect on the first try ain't ever gonna happen. I'm not that smart. Plus I'm getting old. Lol
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Re: League Schedules

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Just to clarify...
The new scheduling format has no A or B division in the regular season. There is only an American League and a National League. Once the regular season is complete, the top 2 finishers in each league will play for the A title. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place finishers will play for the B title. It's that simple.
CRCSkipper
Rookie Poster

Post by CRCSkipper »

When will the fall schedule be coming out?
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Approximately 1 week prior to the end of the summer season.
CRCSkipper
Rookie Poster

Post by CRCSkipper »

Thanks!
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

I get what you're trying to do, but I don't think it worked out well for Sunday Co-ed this 2019 Fall. Team Hunt, WITH TWO GAMES LEFT TO PLAY, who has maybe 1 winning season for as long as I can remember, is now in a position to almost certainly end up in the A division championship against perennial winners Hattricks. Meanwhile, another perennial winner, US, will be in the B division playoffs for sure.

Perhaps throwing all teams into one division and then expanding playoffs somehow would be another way to go.
latincontrol
Triple A Poster

Post by latincontrol »

Having to play the so-called 'perennial' teams is going to happen regardless of format. Bunch 'em all in one massive division and you're looking at just having one extended playoff game/series before playing them anyway. There is only one cure for this age old issue of thinking teams are unbeatable and that's to upgrade/improve our teams & go at it. The afore-mentioned teams are beatable.

I can assure you for as long as I have been a part of this league, this issue/complaint/concern/request has come up multiple times. Despite multiple division/conference realignments and shake ups by the league, this issue/complaint/concern/request always comes up. Some who have shared this concern now play on so-called perennials and now you hear nothing as they are now winning. Not making any implications hear other than saying...if we wanna be at top we got to prepare for it. Not saying Team Hunt isn't doing that, just a general statement. But it is the only cure.

If a team plays the...we just play for fun card...will the complaint go away when the good teams are moved elsewhere and lesser competition is on the field? Truth then is, winning is a vital part of just having fun. Just my observations over the years. A team concerned of having to play what they deem an automatic loss, is concerned about winning and wants to win with as little resistance is possible. Yes, no one likes being handed their tail to them. Again, preparation prevents tail-whoppings.

I've played for Teena and Hunt squad before...they've had other winning seasons.
latincontrol
Triple A Poster

Post by latincontrol »

Not to mention the Sunday PM Co-Ed league is as least competitive as it has been in a veerrrryyy long time. It's up for grabs for any team which upgrades a player/position or two.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

You got that right. Team Hunt with a winning season, winning at least 5 games? Unheard of. LOL.

P.S. I play for Team Hunt
Geno8121
Triple A Poster

Post by Geno8121 »

We would love to switch with TEAM HUNT... We were missing 5 starters for our game vs Hattricks and I'd pay money out of my pocket to see them in a 3 game series.