Opening Day 2020

General Discussion of Topics Related to Individual Leagues
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Opening Day 2020

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Opening Day for the 2020 softball season has been tentatively set for Monday, June 22nd. Now that Bucks and Montgomery Counties are in the yellow phase of the COVID-19 reopening, it is my hope the green phase will not be far behind. I think it best to at least set a date so everyone can begin to prepare. If we have to postpone a week or 2, so be it. At the very least we will be ready, willing and once we get the able part of it taken care of we will start. I think it goes without saying, we will have to abide by CDC, Township, County, State, and USA Softball safety guidelines, i.e. social distancing, no hand shaking or high fives, etc. We may even go to a ball/strike mat to keep the umpires at a safe distance from the batter and the catcher. More on this will be posted once we get closer to Opening Day.

I am beginning to reach out to team managers to get a handle on how many of the spring season teams will be playing the summer season. The sooner I hear from team managers, the sooner I will be able to formulate and post the schedules.

The Quarry is being worked on. The trash container has been delivered. The electric will be restored this Tuesday. The port-a-pots will arrive at some point next week. The website countdown timer has resumed. Let's PLAY BALL!
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Re: Opening Day 2020

Post by sixofdiamonds »

From what I understand, Bucks and Montgomery Counties will move to the green phase on Father's Day weekend. If that is the case, Opening Day will be Monday, June 22nd. It is also my understanding the number of people allowed at a green phase gathering has changed from not more the 25 to not more than 250. I could be wrong so if anyone has more info on this please share. If it is 25, then teams must leave the premises once their game is complete. If 250, hanging around after the game would be fine as long as social distancing is adhered to. This would also give the Labor Day 1-Pitch Tournament a green light come September.

At this point, around 85% of the teams that have replied to me will be returning for summer softball. I have yet to hear back from all of the teams in the league which amounts to about 20%. It's kind of hard to formulate and post any kind of schedule without knowing how many teams will be competing in each league. If you have not yet confirmed or denied your presence in the league for the summer, please do so at your earliest convenience.

Hatfield and Horsham Townships are prepared to open their fields once we get to the green phase. I'm sure there will be conditions we must meet in order to play and I will post them as soon as I know exactly what they are. As far as Softball America is concerned, the following changes will be made as we attempt to navigate through these trying times.

Social distancing will be strictly enforced. It shouldn't be too much of an issue for ball fields without dugouts. Ball fields with dugouts will require 1/2 the team to remain outside the dugout. In either case, players are to maintain a clear path to the batter's box at all times.

A ball/strike mat will be used in all leagues to facilitate social distancing between the batter, catcher, and umpire.

A number of teams in the league are struggling to roster enough 'eddies'. This is understandable under the circumstances. Be that as it may, the coed league 'eddie' requirements will drop from 4-4-3 to 4-3-2 (4 eddies in the line-up, 3 eddies in the field of which 2 of the eddies in the field must be female). The all-star eddie requirement (for each all-star there must be an equal number of eddies in the line-up at all times) will be suspended.

There will be no handshaking or high-fiving of any kind. Players are prohibited from spitting. I know this may be hard for some, but we need to do this right. Please, no chewing tobacco or sunflower seeds.

Two spray bottles (one for each team) of an anti-microbial (Steramine) along with ample refills will given to each and every umpire. This will be supplied by the league. Refills will also be supplied by the league.

I am hearing both sides of playing/not playing. Roughly 85% of league members have had enough and they want to get out and participate in some kind of organized recreation. Roughly 15% of league members have financial and/or health concerns. Believe me, I understand both sides. If I had to hibernate all winter and then couldn't get out and play golf in the spring and summer, someone would have to talk me off the ledge. I was fortunate to be able to spend the winter months in Florida where golf was never shut down. On the flip side, my wife has a highly compromised immune system. I will be at the fields, but I will take every precaution so as not to bring any kind of viral infection back home to her.

If at all possible, pay your league fee online. This will lessen the exposure. The league fee payment form is located here...
http://www.cuttingedgesports.net/sbareg ... efees.html

If you can't pay online, write a check before you get to the ball field and simply hand it to the league fee collector. No receipt is needed as your check will act as your receipt. If you must pay cash at the field, please try and have the exact change. The less interaction, the better.

I truly believe if everyone plays their part in this and abides by CDC guidelines, we should all be fine. Wash/spray your hands often and keep your hands away from your face at all times and under any circumstance.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

Yay!
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

If any Sunday Coed teams are looking for a female, the following free agent is dying to play. She has been waiting patiently since March 2nd for a manager to reach out and give her a shot. Put me in, Coach. I'm ready to play, today.

Name: Suzanne Bellezza
City: Horsham
State: Pennsylvania
Zip: 19044
Phone: 2159903727
Email: chipjonz01 at yahoo.com
wdshipe
Triple A Poster

Post by wdshipe »

I think that the proposed modifications to how we play softball all sound reasonable and workable. Thanks for your thought and preparation, Les! I did want to ask for clarification on two points though:

1. "The all-star eddie requirement (for each all-star there must be an equal number of eddies in the line-up at all times) will be suspended.”
  • Does this mean that a team may have 5 all-stars in the lineup without the need to have at least 5 eddies in the lineup?
  • Further, does this mean that a team may have 6 or more all-stars in the lineup (as was previously prohibited)?
2. "A ball/strike mat will be used in all leagues to facilitate social distancing between the batter, catcher, and umpire.”
  • I’ve played in several leagues/tournaments before where a strike mat was used, and the rules were often slightly different. In SBA, is the pitch a strike if and only if it lands on the mat?
  • Is the pitch automatically a ball if it his the white part of home plate?
  • If yes to both of the above questions, should the mat ideally be placed such that it is impossible for the ball to contact both the mat and the white part of home plate?
Robbin Worthington
Rookie Poster

Post by Robbin Worthington »

Just play plate n mat strike make it a force out at home 2 plates 1 on the 3rd base line where runner must touch before catcher has the ball and a commitment line between home n 3rd
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Does this mean that a team may have 5 all-stars in the lineup without the need to have at least 5 eddies in the lineup?
That is a correct statement.
Further, does this mean that a team may have 6 or more all-stars in the lineup (as was previously prohibited)?
That is an incorrect statement. The coed league all-star cap will remain at 5.

The proposed ball/strike mat will be shorter than our 1-pitch tournament mat, but will include home plate as part of the strike zone. If a pitched ball lands on any part of the mat or white portion or home plate, it will be considered a strike.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

UPDATED UPDATE

The word on the block is we will go green on the 26th. God willing, Opening Day will be Friday, June 26th.

I will post schedules as soon as I can. It has not been easy. I still don't have commitments from all teams in all leagues. Everyone and everything has been in a state of limbo. I hate limbo. While most of the schedules will be good from a time slot and ball field equality standpoint, they won't be as good as they usually are. There's just not enough time for me to put the hours in to construct them the way I normally do. Please bear with me. If your team gets slighted in some way, make me aware of it and I will try and make it up to you the following season.

Sunday Men's will have 5 divisions of 6 teams each. Games will be scheduled at the Quarry, Lukens 1 and 3, Cedar Hill, Hatfield, and possibly Carpenter Park. Sunday Coed will play 2 leagues with interleague play and a total of 13 teams. One league will have 7 teams and the other 6 teams. Games will be scheduled at the Quarry, Cedar Hill and Hatfield. The format for Monday Coed is still up in the air. Tuesday Men's will be business as usual with a full slate of 8 teams. Wednesday Coed is still up in the air. Thursday Men's will play a full 12 teams with 5 in the A Division and 7 in the B Division. Friday Coed is still up in the air with the possibility of only 4 teams. Friday Men's will play a full 6 teams with each team playing 1 late game at the Quarry. This will help us pick up a week and get back on schedule for the fall season. I should be able to post the Sunday Men's, Sunday Coed, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday Men's in the next day or so.

As things change I will post here.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

OMG, this might actually happen!
Rmcavey
Rookie Poster

Post by Rmcavey »

Would it be easier for you to have 4 divisions for Sunday Men’s?
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

It would be easier for me, yes, but not for the teams that would be forced to play up. It would also be less costly for me, but I'm all about fairness and strive to make as many people happy as I possibly can.
wdshipe
Triple A Poster

Post by wdshipe »

Thanks for the answers to my questions about all-star requirements and called strikes. Things are taking shape!
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

For those interested, Telford (Stover Park, Friday Men's) is a borough located in both Bucks and Montgomery Counties. If either county goes green on the 26th, we will be able to play that evening.
TK15
Double A Poster

Post by TK15 »

So the strike zone is now plate and mat, 6 to 14 feet. Does this mean the front knee/back shoulder parameters are out?
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Yes. The mat/plate area determines the strike zone... at least for the summer season.