Proposed Eddie 1-Pitch Tournament

General Discussion of Softball Tournaments
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Proposed Eddie 1-Pitch Tournament

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Just throwing this out there to see if there is enough interest among the league's girls and older gents. I am considering putting together a 1-pitch draft tournament, much like the Memorial and Labor Day tournaments except in this tourney the focus will be on the female eddies, then the male eddies, and finally the core/all-star players if needed. The key is to get enough eddies to make 6 or 8 teams. Manager tandems would consist of one male eddie and one female eddie. Each tandem, depending on the eddie sign-up ratio, would draft no less than 5 female eddies, 3 male eddies and again, if needed, 3 core/all-star. If we use core/all-stars to supplement the draft, core/all-stars will enter the draft via a lottery. In other words, if 50 core/all-stars sign up to play, a lottery will be held to see which 24 (or whatever number is needed) will enter the draft. The remaining core/all-stars will become alternates. If we can get enough eddies, we can make it an all-eddie affair.

The tourney will be held on a Saturday in late September or early October.

The draft will be conducted a little differently for this tournament. While we will be using the same draft order, all female eddies will get drafted first. Then we will move to the male eddie group and finally, if needed, core/all-stars will be selected. In fact, this draft format will be used in all 1-pitch draft tournaments moving forward including the upcoming Labor Day outing. Each team will get the exact same number of female eddies, male eddies, and core/all-stars.

The Memorial Day and Labor Day tournaments basically consist of men's teams with a few girls sprinkled in. This tournament will be quite the opposite, consisting of eddie teams with a few core/all-stars sprinkled in. It sounds like a lot of fun. The key are the female eddies. We must get no less than 56 females to make it happen. Post here or email the league office if you like the idea, have any suggestions to improve the proposed format, or are interested in managing.

The first step is getting interested managing tandems. The following (fe)/(me) combos have tossed their hats into the manager ring.

Jamie Richards (fe) / Dan Vescovi (me)
Veronica Geyer (fe) / Kurt Fritz (me)
John Schofield (me) / Theresa Groves (fe)
Mike Van Fossen (me) / Anna Van Fossen (fe)
Ron Pulli (me) / Kris Pulli (fe)
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Re: Proposed Eddie 1-Pitch Tournament

Post by sixofdiamonds »

If drafting managers agree, we can open the tourney up to non-SBA eddies - male and female alike.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

Count me in, sounds fun!
Brandywine79
Rookie Poster

Post by Brandywine79 »

Yes I’m interested!
8greenenvy

Post by 8greenenvy »

I'm definitely interested. Will the women who played in the last (only) female tournament be eligible as well? I'd be agreeable to letting outside Eddies play.
Mrbunny
Rookie Poster

Post by Mrbunny »

I'm interested, if my body holds up....
Mikee2020
Rookie Poster

Post by Mikee2020 »

Interested
chipjonz01
Rookie Poster

Post by chipjonz01 »

I'm definitely interested!
Eharvest

Post by Eharvest »

I am definitely interested!!
stoney 2
Rookie Poster

Post by stoney 2 »

When do you plan to set the date? I’d be interested in forming a coaching tandem but I am out of town 1 weekend in September.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

At this point, the Eddie 1-Pitch date is slated for Saturday, October 2nd.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

To get an idea of interest for the 'eddie only' 1-pitch tournament, I am opening a preliminary Eddie 1-Pitch registration form. The form link is listed below...
https://cuttingedgesports.net/sbaregist ... eddie.html

This registration is only preliminary. It will be used merely to gauge interest. If there is enough interest, the actual registration will open in early September following the Labor Day 1-pitch tourney. Due to a conflict with an all-girls breast cancer event, the tourney date is now October 9th. Female participation is pivotal and will determine whether or not we run this event. If you are interested in making this happen, now would be a good time to register. If there is not enough eddie interest, one option is to allow 2 or 3 core players to register and be drafted by each team. Instead of having mostly core players and a few eddies as we do in the Memorial and Labor Day tournaments, we would have mostly eddies with a few core players sprinkled in. The other option, one I am learning more toward, is opening it up to the over-40s core/all-stars.

For now, however, I'm only interested in eddie sign-ups. Core players and all-stars should not register.

Manager tandem interest thus far...

Jamie Richards (fe) / Dan Vescovi (me)
Veronica Geyer (fe) / Kurt Fritz (me)
John Schofield (me) / Theresa Groves (fe)
Mike Van Fossen (me) / Anna Van Fossen (fe)
Ron Pulli (me) / Kris Pulli (fe)
Angie Georgiadis (fe) / Carmen Brancato (me)
Bill Stone (me) / Lauren Wood (fe)
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

With the tournament date changed to October 9th, the prospect of having the tournament increased dramatically. Preliminary registrants are listed below. With a 6-team tournament, we will need only 22 additional entrants. With an 8-team tournament, requirements rise to one more managing tandem and 46 additional entrants.

sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

I am sad to announce the Eddie 1-Pitch Tournament has been postponed until 2022. A number of factors contributed to this decision. First off, I'm getting a strong sense that enough draft candidates won't be available come crunch time. As it is now, 1-pitch candidates are beginning to drop off. With barely enough candidates for 6 full teams and only 3 alternates, I don't want to take the chance of burning an important ball field maintenance Saturday (read below) for a tourney that is beginning to show signs of weakness, especially when you consider the rate of defection increases as we get closer to the tourney date.

Secondly, there is a good chance I will need that Saturday for light fixture replacement at the Quarry. New fixtures have been ordered and they are scheduled to arrive either the 1st or 2nd week in October. I have the install date set for the 16th, but if the lights arrive sooner, I want to start on the 9th.

I am really sorry. I know a lot of people were looking forward to this, but I think it is in the best interest of all to postpone the tourney until next year instead of 'hoping' to get it in this year. It is late in the softball year. Softball interest is waning. I think if we have this tourney sometime in late June or early July, the turnout will be solid. I want the inaugural eddie tourney to be a really great experience for all so we can do it successfully on a yearly basis.