Manager Meeting / 2023

General League Announcements and Discussion
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Manager Meeting / 2023

Post by sixofdiamonds »

There was a healthy attendance at the league manager meeting yesterday. As a result, changes to how we will play the game in 2023 have taken place. These changes were ratified by the managers that cared enough to attend the meeting. If you or a team rep weren't in attendance to make a suggestion, voice an opinion or cast a vote, any complaints by you relative to these changes will fall on deaf ears.

The Slide or Surrender rule has been rescinded for all men's/open leagues. Runners will still need to make a serious attempt to avoid contact. Any blatant contact by the runner with the player covering home plate will result in an out call and possible game ejection. This applies to men's and open leagues only. Coed leagues shall continue to abide by the league Slide or Surrender rule as currently written in our league rules.

Sub rules have been amended in all leagues. A batting out need NOT be taken when using up to 4 subs that are NOT listed as all-stars. A batting out will be taken if a team uses an all-star as a sub. In any instance, a team using any kind of sub can play with not more than 9.

Men's All-Star List: https://www.cuttingedgesports.net/stati ... ns2023.htm
Coed All-Star List: https://www.cuttingedgesports.net/stati ... ed2023.htm

The all-star restrictions shall remain 7 in any men's league and 5 in any Open league. Any coed team carrying more than 4 all-stars must abide by our current all-star/eddie rules.

A rule to allow players to share playing time by entering the game a 2nd time was requested. That rule is known as the Re-entry Rule and has been in existence and the rule books for many years. Player A is in the game. Player B is on the bench. Player B can enter the game for Player A. Player A can then re-enter the game for Player B. Player B can then re-enter the game for Player A. A player cannot re-enter a 2nd time which in essence would be equivalent to entering the game a 3rd time.

You can read more here...
viewtopic.php?t=29
Frank13
Rookie Poster

Re: Manager Meeting / 2023

Post by Frank13 »

Still not sure why there isn’t a rule where pitchers (male or female) are required to wear a mask on the mound.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Unlike most other leagues and tournament events, we use restricted bats and restricted balls. The league does not prohibit the use of a face mask. If a pitcher feels unsafe on the mound, protective equipment is advised and the choice to use such would be completely up to the player.
Smf5125
Rookie Poster

Post by Smf5125 »

Was there any discussion about allowing female eddies to bunt? That was something that was brought up that a number of the co-ed managers were in agreement with.
Rmcavey
Rookie Poster

Post by Rmcavey »

sorry I couldn't make the meeting (well past my bedtime) but I always thought the 3 homerun rule should be amended to give the batter a single rather than an out when he or she hits a homerun over the fence when the team exceeds allowed homers.
Dilbert56
Rookie Poster

Post by Dilbert56 »

Female eddies being allowed to bunt was discussed.

I believe it would make things more interesting. First and third would need to move in. An eddy who has little chance of getting a hit could still drop a sac bunt for a productive out. Makes catcher a more important position, too.
JP40
Triple A Poster

Post by JP40 »

For the men's and open leagues - when runners are coming into home, are they permitted to touch the mat instead of the plate to avoid contact with the catcher?
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Smf5125 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:33 am Was there any discussion about allowing female eddies to bunt? That was something that was brought up that a number of the co-ed managers were in agreement with.
Not to my knowledge. It is something to consider moving forward.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Rmcavey wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:17 am sorry I couldn't make the meeting (well past my bedtime) but I always thought the 3 homerun rule should be amended to give the batter a single rather than an out when he or she hits a homerun over the fence when the team exceeds allowed homers.
The 3 and 1-up HR rule will not change at short-fenced fields. The HR limit does not apply to females.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Dilbert56 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:56 pm Female eddies being allowed to bunt was discussed.

I believe it would make things more interesting. First and third would need to move in. An eddy who has little chance of getting a hit could still drop a sac bunt for a productive out. Makes catcher a more important position, too.
It is something to consider moving forward.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

JP40 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:19 pm For the men's and open leagues - when runners are coming into home, are they permitted to touch the mat instead of the plate to avoid contact with the catcher?
The runner must touch home plate. The mat shall NOT be considered an extension of home plate. If the runner senses contact is inevitable when running to the plate, the runner has a choice to either slide or surrender to avoid the contact. While it is now legal for the runner to run through the plate without a slide or surrender penalty in the men's and open leagues, that runner had best avoid contact at all cost or a game ejection may very well ensue.

Please note:
The Slide or Surrender rule has been rescinded in the men's and open leagues, but remains intact in all coed leagues.