Memorial Day 2023 1-Pitch Tournament / Results

General Discussion of Softball Tournaments
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Memorial Day 2023 1-Pitch Tournament / Results

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Team 8, spearheaded by the managing tandem of Jason Pane and Tess Frelich, found themselves in a tough spot early in the tournament. Teams have won from the loser's bracket in the past, but very few have done it after losing in the first round. Scoring only 3 runs in their first game, Team 8 averaged almost 12/game in their next 6 contests to take the 1-pitch crown. This was as gutsy a team performance as I've seen in a quite some time. Everything they had was left on the field. If I had to pick an MVP from this team, I would be hard-pressed to do so. The tourney statistics will ultimately tell the tale.

Take nothing away from Team 1 (Justin Miller/Monique Dirks). After navigating their way through the winner's bracket, they fell just short in Game 1 of the finals and simply ran into a buzz saw in Game 2.

Congrats to Team 8 and Team 1 on their fine performances.

TEAM 8
Jason Pane
Tess Frelich
Shane Hanna
Jon Motts
Bill Brancato
Amanda Sheehen
Kris Pulli
Ian Cuozzo
Tom Rider
Gene Walczak
Glenn Strattis
Nick Pigott
Paul O'Connor

TEAM 1
Justin Miller
Monique Dirks
Brandon Birkhead
Jason McLaughlin
Jimmy Craig
Eric Schade
Brenda Burns
Heather DeLine
David Barth
Joey Pittman
Mark Rothenberger
Trey Cuozzo
Derek Muhl
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Re: Memorial Day 2023 1-Pitch Tournament / Results

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Tournament Notes

I left the ball field around 10:30. A lot of people were still hanging around. It is my sincere hope, for the sake of future tournaments, the ball field grounds are in presentable shape today.

Long-time league member Kris Pulli, formerly known as Kris Smedley, has played in a lion's share of 1-pitch tournaments since tournament inception in the fall of 2001. In all those years and tournaments, a 1-pitch title was the one thing she could not lay claim to... until now. Congrats Kris Pulli!

This tournament was used as a vehicle to raise funds for a league member in need. The ultimate goal was to raise $17,000 to cover medical expenses. If we didn't reach that goal, we came awfully close. I will say the league really stepped up. League members may whine, cry, argue and fight amongst themselves, but when it comes to lending a helping hand, there's no better group to have in your corner. A big-time thank you to Chris Hackney, Jamie Richards and daughter Bella, Katie Cherba, and Mike Cebzanov for leading the way.

Thanks also need to be handed out to Timmy O'Shea, Billy Brancato, and Mike Cebzanov for their help in getting the field ready. Buddy Schwarz deserves a vote of gratitude for stepping up and doing the final 7 games, the last 3 by himself when we ran short of umpires. Dave Walsh, who worked the first 4 games, proceeded to donate his umpire earnings to the cause.

Tournament action photos will be few and far between. I can promise you it wasn't for a lack of effort. The camera I had borrowed was not functioning well at all. To make matters worse, when I came back in the late afternoon, the camera had been locked in the snack stand.

Up next is the Eddie 1-Pitch Tournament on Saturday, July 15th. This will be my 3rd and final attempt at making this happen. 6 teams, 66 draft candidates, 6 managing tandems, and a few alternates will be needed. I would love to see it happen, but if it doesn't I will be closing the door on it... for good. Thus far, league members listed below have shown interest in becoming managing tandems.

Ron Pulli (me) / Kris Pulli (fe)
Katie Cherba (fe) / Buddy Schwarz (me)
Bob Garges (me) / TBD

Krysta Koelzer and Monique Dirks have expressed interest as well.

I would like to keep the tournament restricted to male and female eddies, but if we need people to make it happen, I may allow some guys slightly younger than 52 into the tourney. How much younger has yet to be determined. If slightly younger males are allowed in, they will be required to use a wood bat.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Team 8

sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

I am wondering if the Eddie 1-Pitch might be better served if we plan it for late September instead of peak vacation season (July). I will make that decision soon.
BamBam08
Rookie Poster

Post by BamBam08 »

Probably. Summer is packed with things. Maybe open it to non sba Eddies to try to bring more in to the league if we don't have enough.
Anonnymous
Double A Poster

Post by Anonnymous »

If you count the mileage on the actual body, then I qualify. And I'm interested.