Friendly Reminder for Umpires

General League Announcements and Discussion
blouderback
Major League Poster

Friendly Reminder for Umpires

Post by blouderback »

Here's a friendly reminder for all CoEd umpires, especially ones who literally say "I don't care what the rules say!", on what a "Play at the Plate" is (emphasis mine).

From League Rules:

"'Play at the plate' shall refer to any instance where a fielder is ‘about to receive the ball’ in the ‘general vicinity’ of home plate. ‘About to receive the ball’ shall refer to any instance where the ball arrives immediately before, at the same time, or immediately after the base runner reaches home plate. ‘General vicinity’ shall mean within a couple feet of the plate."
BamBam08
Rookie Poster

Re: Friendly Reminder for Umpires

Post by BamBam08 »

So would a ball at the back stop before the runner arrives be considered general vicinity? The ball was by the catcher when the runner was about 15 feet from the plate. She didn't get to the plate until the ball was by the catcher & the catcher was going to the back stop to get the ball.
BamBam08
Rookie Poster

Post by BamBam08 »

It all comes done to a judgement call at the end of the day as to what the umpire considers if a play could have been made or there wasn't a ply. I was interfered with covering the plate last year by the batter who stood at home plate that turned into a sac fly & when i moved to be able to make a play he shifted in front of me. Interference wasn't called because the throw was up the line.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

I agree, Paul, it is a matter of judgement. However, when an umpire literally says he doesn't care what the rules say, it concerns me and I feel a friendly reminder is in order.

In regard to your post about the play that you are referring, I feel that the ball arrived "immediately after the runner", and therefore your runner should have been called out. I also believe that in the next inning, OUR runner should have also been called out on another play at the plate, but he wasn't.

This rule is in place to protect catchers. If umpires refuse to enforce it, runners will continue to barrel through the plate with a catcher standing there ready to receive the ball, and people will get hurt.
BamBam08
Rookie Poster

Post by BamBam08 »

I agree about the comment. I didn't hear that. I understand the rule. The first runner was like 15 feet or so from the plate when it went to the backstop. The second runner was the one I was wondering about because he barely held it a split second & the ball was at the plate or getting to him (forget if it was flipped to someone or they made it back to the plate) he was the one I was waiting to hear was out. I might have made the call on him.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

Paul, lets assume you are correct and the runner was 15 feet from home plate at the time the ball arrived at home. Now let's do some math. A quick Google search says the average human can run a 40 yard dash in 5 to 6 seconds. Let's be conservative and use 6 seconds to cover 40 yards, or 120 feet. 120÷6 = 20 feet per second. So, if the runner was 15 feet away, and they can cover 20 feet in one second, that means the runner was less than a second away from crossing home plate. Would you agree that something happening after less than 1 second could mean "immediately after"?
BamBam08
Rookie Poster

Post by BamBam08 »

It could. To me it would come down to where the ball is in relation to the plate at the back stop I wouldn't consider a play but if the catcher has it and is about to come back and they're like that in relation to scoring I would. Possession of the ball would be the key for me. Then if runners and on top of each other who should the lead runner handle the hold if another is on their butt. Just adding something into the discussion not trying to start anything
BamBam08
Rookie Poster

Post by BamBam08 »

I know the thing that SHOULD happen but hardly does with speed guys at time is to not ride the slower runners ass around the bases. Lol That would eliminate the scenario I add.
blouderback
Major League Poster

Post by blouderback »

I understand how you feel about the catcher having possession, but that's not what the rule says, hence my reminder to the umpires who also might feel that way.