sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Labor Day 1-Pitch 2021 Tournament Teams

Post by sixofdiamonds »

wdshipe
Triple A Poster

Re: Labor Day 1-Pitch 2021 Tournament Teams

Post by wdshipe »

Jason McLaughlin appears on both Teams 4 and 8. Perhaps one of them should be James McLaughlin?
TK15
Double A Poster

Post by TK15 »

8th overall pick was James McLaughlin not Jason
Geno8121
Triple A Poster

Post by Geno8121 »

Phil Black with the pick of the CENTURY getting Jason McLaughlin in the 6th round! Wow.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Amended...
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

As player defections go, I was pleasantly surprised to see not one player pull out of the tournament before the draft (excluding last minute injury). I thought for a moment that we might have a defection-free tournament for the first time in league history. Not to be. Derek Muhl has pulled out of the tournament. The only somewhat comparable replacement for Derek from an offensive and defensive standpoint is recently added alternate John Graves. John has been assigned to replace Derek on Team #1. He has been notified and will be at the ball field this Sunday for the first game.

sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop... and it did.

Phil Black (Team 4) cannot attend the tournament. Per 1-pitch protocol, Phil is to name a player from his team as a replacement co-manager. Phil has named Evan Porter. Now we need to replace Phil with an alternate. The alternates listed are a much higher round pick than Phil. Assigning one of those players would be, at least in my mind, unfair.

We have 3 options…
1. Use one of the listed alternates to replace Phil
2. Find an available and comparable player not on the alternate list to replace Phil (open to suggestions)
3. Allow Team 4 to play with only 12 players

Managers, please let me know how you feel about this along with any suggestions on an available replacement for Phil.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

League photographer extraordinaire Rich Edmundson will be attending the tourney taking action photos. He will be armed with a drone which he will fly above the field taking what are sure to be awesome pix. Very cool!
Geno8121
Triple A Poster

Post by Geno8121 »

John Graves should replace Phil

Greg Guarino replace John Graves. IMHO
Geno8121
Triple A Poster

Post by Geno8121 »

In my personal opinion the tournament is awesome but when people drop after the draft it really screws a lot up. Greg signed up 1 day after me. John Graves who’s awesome btw nothing against the guy but signed up 3 days ago and is playing while Greg isn’t in the tournament because he’s “too good”?
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Phil Black has been replaced by alternate Kevin Goetz. Kevin has been notified and he will be at the field for Game 2.
wdshipe
Triple A Poster

Post by wdshipe »

Offensively, Greg Guarino and John Graves are clearly the closest alternates to Derek Muhl. In fact, based solely on the statistics I see above (I have never met nor seen either of them play), their offensive outputs are nearly identical to each other.

But I think Les is also considering the defensive side as well, as the positions a player can/will play also factor into drafting decisions. From this perspective, John (P, C, 1B) is closer than Greg (OF) to Derek (P, C, 1B, 2B).
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Yes, Bill. That is correct. Managers draft players based on their defensive needs as well as offensive production.
Geno8121 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:37 pm In my personal opinion the tournament is awesome but when people drop after the draft it really screws a lot up. Greg signed up 1 day after me. John Graves who’s awesome btw nothing against the guy but signed up 3 days ago and is playing while Greg isn’t in the tournament because he’s “too good”?
Agreed! Post-draft defections can become a clustef*ck. Allowing Greg to get in simply because he was the next man up on the alternate list would be so not fair on so many levels. That works for pre-draft defections and that's the way it's always been done, but it cannot work for post-draft defections. Tourney protocol has always been to find a comparable replacement. That's the way it's always been done. We couldn't have a lottery as described below because there weren't enough comparable alternates. A comparable player emerged and that comparable player was assigned.

I respect the dedication you have for friend and teammate, but think about this, Geno. If next spring the same situation occurs and Jeremy Villano or Kevin Roche are the next-up alternate, would you as manager be OK with another team replacing an 8 or 9 round pick with a 1st round alternate? I think not.

You can argue Guarino is not Villano or Roche, but where does one draw the line? I can't set that precedent and the last thing I need is to debate each and every replacement. I try and keep things as objective as possible.

1-Pitch Rules and Regs

Alternates

Any players not on the draft list (late entrants, or entrants beyond the limit) will be placed into an alternate player pool. If, at any point before the draft takes place, a player gets hurt or cannot attend the tournament, replacement players (alternates) will be assigned to the body of the draft according to their player status (male/female eddie, core) and in the order with which they signed up to play. If, at any point after the draft but before the tournament begins, a drafted roster player gets hurt or cannot attend the tournament, alternates will be assigned on a relatively random basis. Should a team need a replacement player after the draft is complete, a list of comparable players to the player being replaced will be formed and posted along with their 3-digit numbers. This list may contain players of marginally greater/lesser skills than the originally drafted player(s). Using the last 3 digits of the official attendance of a MLB game and comparing that to the alternate's 3-digit number, a replacement player will be determined. The alternate with the 3-digit number that comes closest to the last 3 digits of that game's attendance (+/-), will be assigned to that team. 000 will follow 999. Once tournament day arrives, all rosters are frozen and substitutions of any kind are strictly prohibited.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

1-pitch managers were offered 3 options on how to deal with this situation...

1. Use one of the listed alternates to replace Phil
2. Find an available and comparable player not on the alternate list to replace Phil (open to suggestions)
3. Allow Team 4 to play with only 12 players

Most were in favor of Option 2.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Here's some thought for defensive consideration. A team is weak in the outfield. They lose a first baseman. I then allow an excellent outfielder to take the place of the 1B or C. Even though their offensive production is the same, the team is now much better defensively with the new acquisition in the outfield.

A team loses their only pitcher. They have 5 outfielders. I then allow an excellent outfielder to take the place of their pitcher. Even though their offensive production is the same, the team is now much worse defensively with the new acquisition in the outfield.
mcmook34

Post by mcmook34 »

The alternate list is guys committed to play. Why bother to sign up? Sucks, I wanted to play.
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

I know, Matt. It's disappointing not getting in. In a perfect world, everyone that wanted to play would be able to play and team managers wouldn't care how alternates got in and where they ended up. No perfect world here. Tournament managers are a competitive bunch. When they put their feet in the starting blocks, they expect everyone to start on the same line. My job is to see to it that happens.
Dmk79

Post by Dmk79 »

You ever have indeterminate family not live out of town? I never said I was hurt. So to lead people with false information is wrong. Yes I'm playing with a foot injury but I informed les I had family that I haven't seen in 15 years come in town. I also do to the storm call and text les saying if I can play bc they can not make it in from out of town. Unaware of when and where this draft was supposed to take place. They can personally message me and not plastic me in or on a professional league form. Since everyone knows everything
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

A female is needed to fill a spot for the upcoming 1-pitch tourney. Please register at the link below ASAP.
https://cuttingedgesports.net/sbaregist ... pitch.html
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds »

Managers Nick Maile and Jenn Sevitski (Team 3) can no longer attend the tournament (COVID). Joe Healy and Christina Iademarco will take their place as co-managers. Alternate Greg Guarino will replace Nick Maile. A female replacement for Jenn Sevitski has yet to be determined.