Opening Day Weather

General Discussion of Topics Related to Individual Leagues
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Opening Day Weather

Post by sixofdiamonds »

It's gonna be cold tonight. No doubt about it. Dressing warm with layers will be the prudent thing for most. However, my guess is we will see a player or 2 wearing shorts.

The league follows a strict protocol when it comes to postponing games. If the field becomes unplayable, the games are called. Games are not called due to cold, heat, humidity, or wind. That's just the way it is. MLB is no different. On April 23, 2013 the Rockies played in 23 degree cold with a wind chill of about 9 degrees.

Expecting me or any league official to make a determination about what is too cold a temperature to play in is just not fair. What is the cutoff? Is it OK to play when it's 35 degrees but not OK at 34? Who makes that determination? And if games are called because some feel it's too cold, what's gonna happen come summer when temps top 100 or the humidity becomes oppressive. If we postpone for cold, we have to postpone for heat. If we postpone for heat, how about humidity? And what about wind? Is it OK to play in 20 mph wind, but not 21? If the ball field is playable, the games will get played.

A lot of people don't realize I played hundreds of games in Softball America and I played when temps were in the 20's, over 100, and in wind where it was difficult to stand in one place. I played games when snow was coming down. Now I play golf, but that's no different. 99 out of 100 golf tournaments (outings) are played regardless of the conditions. If the course is playable, the outing goes on. I've played golf outings in cold wind and heavy rain. Never forget an outing at Pine Crest. John Toto (RIP) and I froze our butts off, but we played, just like everyone else.

Dress warm. Wear layers. Maybe someone on the team has a propane heater. That will help. I will be there just like you-- toughing it out.