Welcome to the New SBA Message Board Forum. Click here to read more.

Interleague or Divisional Scheduling

General Discussion of Topics Related to Individual Leagues
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Interleague or Divisional Scheduling

Post by sixofdiamonds » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:52 am

Below is a recent email to the Thursday Men's league managers.

Thursday Men’s Managers,

The scheduling format for the Thursday Men’s league has been a topic of discussion lately. We are, and have been for about 5 years, running an interleague schedule. The higher seeds in the A play a couple of games vs. the higher seeds in the B. The lower seeds in the A play a couple of games vs. the lower seeds in the B. The higher seeds in the B play a couple of games vs. the higher seeds in the A and C. The lower seeds in the B play a couple of games vs. the lower seeds in the A and C. Because we have (had) 6 teams in the A there are 2 instances where a low seed A team will play a high seed C team.

My question to you is a simple one. Would you prefer to play games only in your division or do you like the interleague play format? This question is being posed to 13 Thursday Men’s managers. Majority will rule for the summer season.

From the 10 responses I've received thus far, 5 prefer interleague or 'limited' interleague play. By limited I mean fewer interleague games and/or interleague between B and C only. As there are only 2 interleague games now, that would translate to only 1 interleague game. These responses came from 2 A managers, 2 B managers, and 1 C manager.

3 prefer divisional play only. These responses came from 1 A manager and 2 B managers.

The remaining 3 responses couldn't give a rat's behind. These responses came from 2 A managers and 1 B manager.

Some of the managers gave reasoning behind their decisions. I will share them with you.

1. While the competitive side of my appreciates the chance to play higher competition every now and then I find in most cases that game isn't as competitive as we'd hope. I think Thursday night has a wide talent gap from A and everyone else. I'd vote for staying in your own division or at least C teams never play A teams.

2. My vote is you leave the AMERICAN ALONE and let them play each other 5 or 6 teams. We do not want to move up. Their is barely ANY gap in talent from National to Patriot so intraleague between those teams or merge them at this point. To be clear intraleague between B and C but not A

3. Our feeling is we don't mind playing an A team- just not 2 or 3 in one season like the top seeds in B have to. Is there anyway we could tailor a schedule where we all play once? (In reality, the top 2 B teams play 2 games vs. the A while the bottom 2 B teams play only 1. See conference breakdown below.)

4. It seems as tho inter-league play lets everyone down... is there any way to consider A’s and B’s just playing each other even if it means lopsided scheduling... I would rather play all A teams twice... playing B teams just gives the team a false sense of accomplishment, and a lower sense of urgency. (Just a thought.)

5. Doesn’t really matter to me. I like playing diff teams But also want competition

6. As I see it, interdivision play is worthwhile for several reasons. First, it prevents teams from playing each other over and over again. The repetitious and routine parts of life are generally what people are trying to get away from when they participate in leisure activities. If Softball America limits the dynamic of the experience it is offering, over time people may choose other organizations to pursue a more diverse field of competition. It also gives those players and teams that are trying to improve themselves and move up to play higher competition a chance to measure themselves and develop. It also allows them to prove to themselves and the league administrators when the time comes that they are ready to move up. It also provides the teams in the A that remain there because they are operating with such sort of misconception about their groups ability the wakeup call needed to improve themselves as a team or just accept they are a lower league team and move down. The argument against it is that the higher seeds in each division have a slightly harder regular season than the lower ones in each division. Of course who gets the advantage would flip flop every season if that advantage was as great as they say it is.

7. I don’t mind how it is now. I also wouldn’t mind it if the majority voted to change it. I won’t raise a stink either way.

The interleague scheduling breakdown for Thursday Men's is different than the other leagues because there are (were) 6 teams in the A and 4 teams each in the B and C. The standard interleague scheduling breakdown (2nd pic down) is for 5 teams in the A, 5 in the B, and 4 in the C. This is the team breakdown moving forward.

I will post more results as I get them. I still need to hear from 2 managers. A scheduling format decision will be made at some point thereafter.

Hack24
Rookie Poster

Re: Interleague or Divisional Scheduling

Post by Hack24 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Hey just looking at the 5 team template there is no way interleague would be fair for the A. I read the coaches responses and it seems everyone acknowledged the "talent" gap between the A and the rest of the leagues, yet if it remains the 5 seed plays 3 B teams while the 1 seed plays 1 definitely not fair. Every session you goft a team that performs the poorest an easy road to the playoffs, and on Thursday's who gonna move up? No point if you say play interleague to show teams ready but in reality all every team says after 99% of interleague games is this wasn't fair or fun. Repetition is boring but so is playing no competitive games or feeling cheated out of a playoff spot because a team plays 40% of their schedule against lower competition. Just my thoughts look forward to seeing how it all shakes out.

sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:57 pm

Even though the interleague templates above give the lower seeds an advantage, I don't believe I've ever seen it have a direct impact on who gets into the post season. It may have an effect on the playoff seeding, but I cannot recall a time where the 4 best teams didn't end up in the playoffs. Once in the post season, the cream will rise to the top.

I truly believe the interlegue schedule does nothing more than tighten things up for the contenders.

Even Pour House would have made the playoffs this season had they not been called on an all-star violation. If they got in, they would have had just as good a shot at the title than the other post season teams.

Be that as it may, here is something I've been working on. It might be a viable compromise.

sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Or... we can simply play games within each divisions. What people fail to realize is I have no axe to grind here. I am not the one playing the games. I merely look at the competition level and try and tighten it up where I can. If the majority want things a certain way (within reason and league safety standards), I'm all for it. League member Nirvana is my goal. :D

Geno8121
Rookie Poster

Post by Geno8121 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:43 pm

The last schedule you posted makes the most sense to me

sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:23 am

Unfortunately, the last schedule posted will result in a bye for 1 team in 6 of the 8 regular season weeks. Only 2 of the 8 weeks will have every team playing. With 5 teams in the A playing only 2 games outside their division (4 vs. 6, 5 vs. 7) it is mathematically impossible not to have double headers and the byes they produce.

Bull69

Post by Bull69 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:30 am

Do we have a 14th team without Jamison?
And if some teams think the diff isn’t that big a gap
Then let’s return back to the 7-7 two division
And be done
But we know what happened before it was a revolving door on which team came up then back down then up then down
Like I said we wanna play who is going to push us to make us play better and if someone thinks they can do it then step up please

sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 am

We will have a 14th team. More than likely it will be a lower conference team. Chances are good we will go back to a 5-5-4 setup. The 7-7 setup really kills the chances of the lesser teams.

All teams KNOW there is a HUGE gap between A and B. I believe the 'isn't a big gap' comments were in reference to the B and C.

sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Post by sixofdiamonds » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:46 am

Let's face it, the B teams are up against it when playing the A teams. I don't think anyone can argue that. One scheduled game played by the B vs. the A isn't going to make much of a difference to the B team standings as long as the B teams take care of business in their other 7 games. And, on any given day... (you know the story).

Last week I watched as the Garges Gang (C team) gave Vertex a run for their money. They had the lead until the last of the 7th.

I know this much, any team that goes into a game thinking they have no shot, will have no shot. That is usually the mindset of most B teams when they play the A teams.

Djmoesizzle

Post by Djmoesizzle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:04 pm

I personally think the All-Star list is outdated and shouldn’t be taken into account. And the fact someone protest a game over it after the fact they lost, instead of bringing up before the game is the reason why there isn’t that many A teams left in the men’s league. Who says they want more competition to “push them to be better” but then turn around and call a team out for having to many all stars. None of the other A teams mentioned anything during the season. Also that team benefited from playing those B teams in a more favored schedule. Personally think the A teams should play the A teams. And that is no slight to the lower tier teams but who wants to play the 1015 game and win/lose by 25 runs. Personally I rather be asleep. Just my two cents

Geno8121
Rookie Poster

Post by Geno8121 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:24 pm

1. All Star list is dated and with no way to separate A and B stats it hurts more than it helps imo. Also it doesnt account for new players in the league (Car Bombs did a great job of using that to their advantage, that's smart btw not hating on it)
2. A should play A based on the talent difference. So I agree. Nobody wants to play any game and get beat 25-1 at any time.
3. I'm gonna guess you play for JPH based on the other comment. Heres my 2 cents for what it's worth. You guys knew the rules and broke them. Whether they are flawed or not, they are still the rules. Taking a shot at the team that called you out is a poor way of handling it. Address Les not the team that called you out. Even addressing Les shouldn't matter as it was a known rule.

Back to the conversation above. I wouldn't mind playing 1 game up vs the lowest seeded A team to see different teams or have more competition however putting us vs a top A team isnt fun.

Thanks