Unsportsmanlike Conduct

General League Announcements and Discussion
sixofdiamonds
Administrator

Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Post by sixofdiamonds »

League behavioral protocol moving forward. Please read...

It is very disturbing to me when people at the ball field become so offended by league member behavior that they feel a need to reach out to me for answers as to why they and/or their family members should be subjected to vile language and vulgar behavior while attending a recreational softball game. I wish I could come up with a good answer, but the truth is there is no good answer to give. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of behavior, on or off the field. As league director it is my job to provide a safe and enjoyable atmosphere at the ball field, before, during, and after the games and it is quite evident I need to do a better job. I am now committed to putting an end to any and all vile, vulgar, and belligerent behavior.

The following league protocol has been added to league bylaws. League bylaws are a collection of league rule amendments and clarifications. League bylaws can be found on the league message board in the forum entitled Important Announcements.

Players, managers, coaches, and spectators are expected to conduct themselves in a sportsmanlike fashion at all times. Any player, manager or coach who conducts themselves in an unsportsmanlike manner before, during, or after a game will be ejected from the game and/or the grounds and receive a mandatory 1-game suspension. Belligerent behavior will be subject to additional game suspensions from the game umpire and/or the league office which may include an indefinite league ban. Any spectator affiliated with a Softball America team who conducts themselves in an unsportsmanlike manner will be asked to get themselves under immediate control and/or leave the ball field grounds. If said individual fails to maintain control or leave the grounds, the team will be warned to get that spectator to comply or the umpire will walk off the field, call the police if need be, and declare a forfeit on the team that is affiliated with the offending individual. Any individual or team that repeatedly violates league behavioral protocol will be instructed to play their softball elsewhere.

It is very sad when things escalate to the point where rules and regulations need to be enacted for something that should be a common courtesy. We're talking about recreational slow-pitch softball. It's a game where people come together to play, have fun, and get away from life's stressors. You have my word I will to do everything in my power to ensure the playing and watching of league games does not become a breeding ground for hostile and aggressive behavior.